2008-08-17

Pusakal Tragedy

Warning: If you're eating something right now, most specially if it's siopao, you may want to finish it first before reading this post.

A few weeks ago, as I was backing the car in our garage, I found a pusakal - a tagalog portmanteau of pusa (cat) and kalye (street) - lying dead stiff. At first I thought she may only be sleeping, but it's impossible for her not to hear the 'cat-frightening' sound of the diesel engine once I started it off. My suspicions were confirmed when I came near and nudged her with my foot. Tsk tsk, poor thing. What could have caused her death? It's very unusual considering the only times I see a dead cat is in the middle of the street with all its innards now 'outtards' its body.

That cat, together with her two babies, always stay in the garage. Sometimes at night I would also catch them all huddled up together on the doormat. Whenever I'm about to start the car while they were resting underneath, they'd get startled and would scamper out of the house. Cute. The only annoying thing they do is to scavenge for food in the trash bins, messing up our street.

Aww sweet!
Cozying up underneath the family car.

Oops, must've heard the digicam click.

We never had a pet animal at home because my brother had asthma when he was just a kid. Now that he no longer has it, we still didn't get one simply because we were too lazy to get one :D. Enough digressing... These cats seem to like staying in the outer parts of our house that at one point I even asked my mom maybe we could 'adopt' them as our household pets. They were too cute and pitiful to be homeless. Too late now, though. Mommy cat has passed away (I don't know where my cousin buried her remains) and just a few days after, another tragedy had befallen her family.

Following her mom in the afterlife, the little one was gruesomely run over by some asshole. I didn't witness the actual killing. I just found the body all ready for an autopsy one lot away from our house. Oh dear. I can hear them meowing all night looking for their mom, and now one of them was brutally killed in the midst of their search. I never knew what happened to the other one, though. Maybe s/he left the place to forget everything that happened and started to move on. Or maybe she went all crazy and committed suicide somewhere else. Either way, I'm sorry something like this had to happen. I guess I'm partly to be blamed. Anyway, I wish their fat feline friends in Japan could file petitions for them. I'll check with the Japanese embassy.

No comments: