2008-08-26

Scam or Spam?

Pued po b akong humingi ng 2long sa inyo? I'm Anne, 21yo fresh grad po from bacolod. Gagawin ko po ang lahat ng kapalit na gusto nio, ma2lungan nio lng po akong makapunta sa mynila. Im willing to take the risks. MY job hiring na po kc ako jan sa smc-ortigas, sayang naman po kung madidissolve lng.. My picture po ako at supporting documents sa www.annevelasco.cjb.net - Anne

August 17, Sunday, 0900h and I'm busy experiencing r.e.m. when my cellphone in its loudest profile woke me up for the SMS received above. Anyone could get easily annoyed by this, but I felt different. Of all the scams-thru-SMS I receive, this is by far the most... I should say, elaborate. I even got to the point of checking out the said website. hehe.

You'd think twice when you see the webpage. (By the way, as of this writing, I checked the URL again and it now points to a different webpage, so it's a scam after all! But I'm getting ahead of my story). The girl tells her family history in the webpage, from how she became an orphan to the beauty contests that she joined just to support herself. She's currently living with a relative and, as what her SMS said, she's already accepted a job in Manila. She even has a copy of her transcript of records and a grad photo.

There are a lot of loopholes in that strategy (or modus operandi, as commonly used with criminals/scammers for that matter), and I'm not gonna enumerate them anymore. The point is that there really are people who would do anything to scam you, and my mobile number seems to be roaming (not as in I'm abroad) far and wide as I receive more scams, more offers of loans at lower discounts, more invites to something at somewhere, etc.

I'd rather have the endless forwards by my friends just because they are on unlimited txting. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ignore na lang. :-)